History
Service Times: 7:45am & 11:00am
1714 Olive Road Augusta, GA 30903

History

essie-mcintyreGood Shepherd Baptist Church originated from a club called Neighborhood Union Club No. 2. This club was organized with a major concern for the sick and needy.

Several years later Sister Essie Mae McIntyre joined the club. Deacon Frank Bunch served as the president of the club for nine years. Under his leadership, the club was organized into a church called Good Shepherd. The church was organized on the first Monday night, April, 1940. The very first service was held on the second Sunday, April, 1940, in a house located on Meadow Street followed by the first revival in May, 1940. Reverend Essie Mae McIntyre was elected as its first pastor. Initially, the church was nondenominational because Rev. McIntyre was not licensed to preach.

Eventually, the Rev. McIntyre and members were able to buy land on Sunset Avenue, now named Essie Mae McIntyre Blvd. in her honor, for the building of a new church. The land was paid for within six months. That site was the church’s home until it moved to the present location at 1714 Olive Road in July 2000.

Brick churchRev. McIntyre served as pastor of Good Shepherd for 46 years. Reverend Clarence Moore was installed as the second pastor in the history of this church in 1986.

Good Shepherd Baptist Church has more than 40 ministries that are holistic in their approach to service. The Music Ministry is dynamic with choirs for ages 3 years and up. Two worship services are held each Sunday in a 1,500 seat sanctuary. In addition, the church has a 500 seat capacity fellowship hall. Weekly worship services are available on audio and video tapes.

Persons without transportation may utilize the church’s Van Ministry for transportation to either service.

 

 

Past Churches

churchfirst

churchsecond

churchthird